Descarga la información en Español AQUI
Our program has been around for 10 years, granting space and production support for people who are doing innovative work worldwide, across the arts and sciences. During their stay (25 days), participants use the hacienda grounds as a laboratory for the creative process and engaging with the local community. They are free to work whenever desired in the provided studios and anywhere in the property. Experimentation is encouraged as is discourse and collaboration. Daily group activities such as morning stretch and meditation, and occasional guided walks and fieldtrips to nearby towns and natural areas are often organized, depending on people’s interests. Because of the relative inaccessibility of the place and a desired cohesiveness of the group, all participants are required to be there the whole time, arriving and departing on specific dates and times.
- Application is open to professionals from all countries, cultural backgrounds and aesthetics.
- Language requirements: English or Spanish, at least beginner level.
- Up to 10 people per session are selected from a mix of the following disciplines:
- Performing Arts (Music, Dance, Performance, Theater, Puppetry, etc)
- Visual Arts (Painting, Drawing, Mixed-Media, Photography, Film/Video, etc)
- Sculpture and Installation
- Design and Architecture
- Humanities and Social Sciences (Anthropology, Philosophy, Writing, etc)
- Natural Sciences (Ecology, Hydrology, Biology, Geology, etc)
The selection process is both by invitation and application. Participants are selected by the Residency Director in conjunction with the Advisory Board. Priority is given to proposals that merge art and science, integrate several fields within the arts, design and technology fields, and/or propose innovative strategies to foster culture and development. Examples of such approaches include but are not limited to: land art, social practice art, eco-industrial design, green architecture, sustainable development, permaculture, agro-ecology and alternative energy technologies.
- LIVE/WORK SPACE: Single or double occupancy bedrooms and studios, plus common areas at the hacienda, at NO COST.
- PRODUCTION SUPPORT to realize one or more projects while in residency.
- PUBLIC EXHIBITION at the Open House event on the last week of the residency.
- DIGITAL CATALOG showcasing each participant’s work, with a review written by a guest curator or writer. See sample catalog here.
- CONNECTIONS with Mexico’s cultural and academic presenters.
- LIVING EXPENSES: All utilities, cleaning services, drinking water and three prepared meals per day at NET COST: $750 USD for the 25 days ($14,000 MX peso / € 695 Euro approximately).
- TRANSPORTATION: We do not cover transportation expenses, but can assist you in pursuing additional funding with other sources, to cover such expenses. Some funding options here:
Additional Support / Funding per Cycle
- 2 HALF SCHOLARSHIPS for participants residing in Mexico: pay only 50% of the living expenses fee. Awarded based on merits and financial need. Must provide proof of residence.
- 2 HALF SCHOLARSHIPS for participants residing in Central America, South America or the Caribbean: pay only 50% of the living expenses fee. Awarded based on merits and financial need. Must provide proof of residence.
2017-18 Cycle Calendar
2017 SUMMER SESSION: May 19th – June 12th, 2017
APPLICATION DUE: April 7th, 2017 at midnight (Eastern Standard Time) >> CLOSED
NOTIFICATION OF RESULTS: April 10th, 2017 by 5pm
LIVING EXPENSES FEE, 40% DEPOSIT DUE: April 25th, 2017
LIVING EXPENSES FEE, BALANCE DUE: May 25th, 2017
2018 WINTER SESSION: January 5 – 29, 2018 >> APPLICATION DUE AUGUST 1st, 2017 >> APPLY
Please consult our FAQ page, and If you have any other questions, contact:
Alicia Marván, Director