HACIENDA

The Guapamacátaro Hacienda was mainly agricultural fields from 1600 to 1800. The mill and first living quarters where built in the late 1800’s; additional bedrooms were added in the 1900’s. It is located in the culturally rich Purepecha region of Mexico (northern Michocán state), 1.5 hours East from Morelia and 2.5 hours West from Mexico City. Nearby towns include Maravatío, Tlalpujahua and El Oro. It has been a family ranch for 4 generations, and an active hub for the cultural and agricultural production of the area. The facilities, set on rural farmland, are comprised of living quarters for up to 10 people, several studios, large common areas and ample outdoor space. The main building houses a large living room, dining room, kitchen, 7 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and 5 studios, plus ample patios and terraces. Living and working space for residencies is made available on the grounds in single and double occupancy rooms.

MULTI-USE SPACES

Various spaces within the hacienda grounds are often used by residents for both creation and installation of projects, in individual and group configurations.

STUDIO 1 / LIBRARY

LOCATION: Upstairs, Main House
LIGHT: Abundant, both natural and artificial
SIZE / CAPACITY: 600 sf / 2 people

STUDIO 2

LOCATION: Ground Floor, Main House
LIGHT: Moderate to low, both natural and artificial
SIZE / CAPACITY: 400 sf / 1-2 people

STUDIO 3

LOCATION: Ground Floor, Main House
LIGHT: Moderate to low, both natural and artificial
SIZE / CAPACITY: 600 sf / 2-4 people

STUDIOS 4 & 5

LOCATION: Upstairs (tower, 2 levels), Main House
LIGHT: Abundant, both natural and artificial
SIZE / CAPACITY: 150 sf per level / 1 person per level

CERAMICS STUDIO

LOCATION: Tlalpujahua Town (45 minutes away by bus)
ARRANGEMENT: Guapamacataro residents can use this facility for a daily fee of $100 pesos (includes materials, tools, and instruction by master ceramist and studio owner Gustavo Bernal).

MARAVATIO VENUES

LOCATION: Maravatío Town (15 minutes away by bus)
ARRANGEMENT: Guapamacataro residents can use these facilities for free, when imparting a workshop to the community or for an exhibition.